Re: [OAUTH-WG] Review of Token Revocation draft

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Mon, 03 December 2012 15:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 10:29:17 -0500
From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: "Anganes, Amanda L" <aanganes@mitre.org>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Review of Token Revocation draft

An early draft of the revocation spec had this token type field, for
this purpose. From an early conversation on the list with Torsten, we
decided that most of the time it didn't matter, as different classes of
token would be recognizable as different by the AS. In some
implementations (like ours), this means checking different token stores
in parallel for a given token value. In other implementations, they can
key on something in the token to make the search more simple.

But one of the reasons behind not having a "token type" parameter any
more is that OAuth core defines two token classes: access and refresh.
OpenID Connect adds another type, the id token. UMA adds a whole range
of other types, from host access tokens and onward. Even dynamic
registration adds a new class, the registration access token. So the
problem is how do we manage all of these classes? Right now, the answer
is "punt" by not having the field and putting the weight on the AS. But
maybe we can revisit this decision with a bit more deployment experience.

The way I see it, we've got a few options:

1) Leave it as-is, with no field. Client/RS/whoever just sends the token
over and it's the AS's problem.
2) Define a required field with "access" and "refresh" value semantics,
and state that other values MAY be accepted by a given AS, or defined by
extension protocols. These extension values MUST be fully qualified URIs.
3) Same as #2, but with IANA registry to allow for non-collision of
short names.
4) Define an optional field that the client MAY send as a hint to the
AS, and it's up to the AS to figure out if it makes any sense in the
context of the request. All bets are off as to the content of this
field, other than "it's a string".

There may be other approaches as well.

  -- Justin